How To Grill A Quick Shishimai and Negi Appetizer
Shishimai, our shishito pepper has a bright, rich flavor making it a perfect for barbeques. Paired with the mild, earthy flavor of Negi, our bunching onion, we have texture and crowd-pleasing aromatics. This easy appetizer provides some crunch and fun at any lunch or dinner activity. In the video below, Chris walks us through a simple way to blister these veggies, preferably on a warm summer day with a beer in hand. Enjoy!
- Peel away the first couple of layers of 4-5 Negi stalks at white base.
- Rinse or wipe off dirt that remains.
- Cut off green tops of Negi stalks and save for future use. They are not needed in this recipe.
- Chop white ends of Negi into 1 inch chunks.
- Rinse a plateful of Shishimai.
- On a flattop grill, preheat your surface and add a light cooking base of oil. Let the oil heat up before you add veggies.
- Once hot, put Negi on the grill. Let it cook for a few minutes on its own. Make sure you hear the sizzle, then you know the flattop is hot enough!
- Let sit for a few minutes to blister, then give them a little toss and add Shishimai.
- Drizzle with more oil and add salt
- Give another toss. Make sure everything is in a single layer on the grill so that it can cook evenly.
- Let it sizzle. Then toss again.
- Let veggies cook for another 10-15 minutes to blister.
Friends and family will all love this healthy, delicious recipe!
And kids give it two thumbs up!