Grilled Teriyaki Shishimai Skewers
Shishimai is not spicy in taste, however it adds an essential peppery flavor to any dish. While there are many preparations for this unique pepper, today we will be following a simple recipe. This recipe makes for a great side dish or appetizer to impress your friends and family at your next barbecue.
Note: For this recipe, we recommend cooking with charcoal for slow and thorough cook adding a great flavor, but this can still be accomplished with a gas grill.
- Skewer the peppers with two skewers about an inch apart each other to allow for easy flipping on the grill.
- Once the charcoal is lit and is covered in gray ash, arrange them for an even heat, then cover the grill and wait for the grill to preheat for at least 5 minutes. Alternatively, for gas grills, set to medium heat and allow for a preheat of at least 10 minutes. Clean and oil the grates accordingly.
- Once the grill is preheated place the skewers on it event spaced.
- Cook for about two minutes directly over the hot side of the grill until you've reached the desired level of charring.
- Then flip the peppers over for another two minutes or until charred to perfection.
- Remove the skewers from heat and give them a quick light brush with teriyaki sauce then transfer to a serving plate.
- Sprinkle sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste then serve.